Accelerate NFV Adoption with NSB
Across the industry, the deployment of virtualized networks and functions has been challenged by a lack of common standards and industry-accepted benchmarks for conformance to carrier-grade requirements. This has made it difficult for Communications Service Providers (CoSPs) and other stakeholders to effectively evaluate the network solutions on the market, compare how different vendor solutions may impact their existing network requirements, and estimate total cost of ownership (TCO) when it comes to network transformation.
At the same time, more effective tools to characterize network performance—along with the ability to dimension network workloads and model the impact of stress vectors such as traffic throughput—would give Independent Software Vendors (ISVs), Original and Telecommunications Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs/TEMs), and Systems Integrators (SIs) the ability to make (or implement) best-in-class products that meet the needs of network operators, and to bring those solutions to market more quickly.
To meet these challenges, Intel launched its Network Services Benchmarking (NSB) project along with industry partners and the Open Platform for NFV (OPNFV) community. The NSB framework was added to the Yardstick project to support both Network Functions Virtualization Infrastructure (NFVi) and Virtualized Network Functions (VNFs) characterization with the goal of facilitating deterministic and repeatable benchmarking. This common tool has the flexibility to help CoSPs, ISVs, VNF vendors, OEMs/TEMs, and SIs find performance bottlenecks and evaluate VNF/NFVI solutions against industry standard benchmarks, a key factor in accelerating Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) deployments in anticipation of 5G.
Training and Demo Links
Watch the following training and demo videos to understand the functionality that the NSB framework can provide.
- Intel Software Developer Zone - How to Install and Configure Yardstick Network Services Benchmarking to Measure NFVI and VNF Performance
- Intel Software Developer Zone - Using NSB to Measure NFVI/VNF Performance
- NSB Quick Start Guide
- ONS Europe Conference 2018 – Network Service Benchmarking Overview
- Network Virtualization Europe 2018: NFV Characterization – Best Known Methodologies
- OpenStack Summit Vancouver 2018 – Barometer beyond Service Assurance Presentation
- OpenStack Summit Vancouver 2018 – Barometer beyond Service Assurance Slide Deck
- OPNFV Plugfest 2017 Presentation
- Intel Software - NSB Overview
- SampleVNF in OPNFV
- NSB Hands-On Lab Training (from Out Of The Box Network Developers summit)
- NSB Demo by Aarna Networks
Accelerating the Virtualization of the Network using Network Service Benchmarking.
NSB through OPNFV Yardstick
Network Service Benchmarking is part of the OPNFV Yardstick Project. Discover more about the content and use cases associated.