Parallel Wireless-HetNet Gateway
HetNet Gateway (HNG) from Parallel Wireless is a 100% 3GPP-compliant SDN- and NFV-based carrier-grade network orchestrator that unleashes a dramatic cost advantage while enabling operators to both scale and grow their multi-vendor multi-technology (3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi) networks. HNG uses standard interfaces to unify real-time, multi-technology, multi-vendor RANs, presenting them as one common interface to any vendor 3G or 4G core. This allows hundreds of nodes or APs to be abstracted in a similar way to VMware to allow hundreds of servers to be managed as an abstraction. The HNG readily fits into existing or greenfield networks between the RAN and the packet core, and abstracts the RAN on any COTS hardware while making the RAN self-configuring, self-optimizing, and self-healing.CONTACT COMPANY►
- -----Multi-Technology Virtualized Gateway Functions-----
- In order to orchestrate the network and unify the multi-technology, multi-vendor RAN, HetNet Gateway takes a unique approach to virtualization with native NFV and SDN for programmability and automation.
- The HNG supports the following ETSI Open VNF-based virtualized gateway network functions for 3G, 4G and Wi-Fi:
- • Supercell/Virtual-eNB
- • Enables 3G/4G/Wi-Fi real-time network SON
- • X2 Gateway
- • Small Cell gateway/HeNBGW
- • HNB Gateway/Virtual RNC
- • Security GW
- • Wi-Fi Controller/Gateway (TWAG, SaMOG,ePDG)
- • Unlicensed Assist Backhaul (SDN)
- • MEC
- The HNG presents hundreds of 3G/4G base stations or APs as one “Supercell” to the core, optimizing handover, paging, and signaling. It also virtualizes trusted and untrusted Wi-Fi functionality via ePDG and TWAG VNFs as a part of overall unified virtualized architecture. HNG also acts as an IoT and eMBMS enabler.
- All these functions interwork with one another, instead of operating in individual silos, to deliver agility and flexibility across the network.
- -----Multi-Technology Real-Time Network SON-----
- HNG includes a built-in multi-technology SON that gives real-time visibility into 3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi traffic to provide self-configuration, self-optimization, and self-healing capabilities. It makes real-time load balancing and resource optimization decisions across the network. The HNG acts as an any-AP/node unifier/orchestrator, anchors the traffic, and handles any mobility handoffs locally. This results in seamless handoff for the wireless users as they switch between different technologies indoors and outdoors
This real-time SON also allows for easy network expansion with new eNodeBs being plug-n-play in an active network.
- SON on HNG ensures the most efficient use of spectrum, which is even more important in a HetNet environment as it coordinates transmissions across macro, micro, and small cell layers. X2-based intelligent Inter-cell Interference Coordination (ICIC) functionality improves the cell-edge experience, as the HNG SON mitigates interference to ensure optimal QoE for each subscriber with the benefits of speed, superior experience, and ability to share.
- X2 connection termination on HNG helps with not only the Inter Cell Interference Coordination (ICIC) amongst the cells, but also with multi-vendor/HetNet interoperability and fast handoff between any cell and any macro.
- Real-time multi-technology SON on HNG also provides self-healing benefits with dynamic traffic rerouting in the case of node failures or network congestion.
- -----Virtualized Multi-Technology (3G, 4G, Wi-Fi) C-RAN-----
- HetNet Gateway also includes a virtualized multi-technology (3G, 4G, and Wi-Fi) C-RAN functionality. Parallel Wireless C-RAN architecture is unique because it leverages standards based X2 interfaces for scheduling as well as provides real-time SON.
- By using open interfaces it gives operators flexibility to choose any vendor for RAN.
- By taking advantage of Moore’s Law for baseband chips, this multi-technology C-RAN allows to use low-cost System on Chip (SoC). This enables our solution to keep BBU functionality on site instead of it being centrally pooled. This permits operators to take advantage of any type of backhaul (Ethernet, fiber, wireless, etc.) without relying on latency-laden and expensive fronthaul.
- By virtualizing both gateway functions (C-RAN and real-time network SON) on the same platform, HNG creates a coordinated system that provides centralized and elastic scheduling over X2.
- The result is real-time load balancing across different radios for improved network performance and better user experience.