I get excited when I hear about new technologies, trying to pick out the winners and predicting which ones will truly change our lives. I believe 5G is in the latter category, and for a few years, I’ve been talking about how Intel is helping to pave the way for this transformative technology.
My news to you now is that much of the pavement has been laid, and it’s ready for a test drive. You’ll see this at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2017 in Barcelona, where we’ve teamed up with our fellow travelers to demonstrate some truly amazing experiences.
The common thread among these demos is the ability to create a connected world: from the cloud – to the network – to the device. These solutions bring together the worlds of wireless, computing, and cloud to show us what a powerfully-smart 5G future looks like. Take a look behind the curtain to see how these real-life examples take advantage of Intel’s full, end-to-end communications roadmap.
Here are four ways 5G enthusiasts can peek into what’s possible:
1.Demos of emerging 5G use cases
A flexible radio access network, or FlexRAN, creates network slices to connect each of the below demos to the cloud via a mobile network according to their specific network bandwidth and latency requirements.
- Automated driving – Partnering with BMW* and Ericsson*, we’re enabling new customer experiences with highly-scalable, automated driving platforms that connect the car to the cloud across 4G/5G while delivering real-time information to the driver via V2X.
- Smart cities – Ericsson*, Bosch*, Red Beacon*, and GE* create smart city solutions, ranging from smart lighting to first-responder drones, using Intel® technologies to optimize device-to-cloud communications.
- Consumer virtual reality (VR) – Ericsson* and Nokia* process live video on an Intel® processor-based platform to create a dramatic 360° VR experience, which is untethered and gesture controlled.
- Connected home – Nokia* delivers wireless broadband to the home, employing Intel’s 5G mmWave technologies to help improve Wi-Fi coverage, increase security, and simplify home automation.
2. 5G and network transformation technology demos
- HPE* 5G-ReadyTelco Edge
- China Telecom* NFVI on Intel® Rack Scale Design (Intel ® RSD)
- Cisco* NFVI Networking
- ZTE* Virtualized basestation
- NTT* CloudWAN
3. Panel discussion on the impact of 5G
Thursday, March 2, 2017 // 11:30 - 13:00 // Hall 4 Auditorium 5
Hear tech company leaders explain how 5G will change the way mobile networks work and are used. Live and interactive demonstrations will show innovative services and life-changing applications.
4. Follow along even if you’re elsewhere
- Keep tabs on what’s happening through Intel Chip Chat podcasts. We’ll be livecasting interviews via blog talk radio on Monday, Feb. 27 at 9am PST and Tuesday, Feb. 28 at 9am PST.
- Get a close look at the demos and listen to interviews via @IntelNetwork Periscope.
- Receive regular updates from us via email by signing up here.
Visit our booth
If you’re at MWC, please stop by our booth and say hello (Hall 3, Stand 3E31). Let us show you how 5G is going to open up all kinds of new business opportunities. Sign up for our daily email updates and catch my tweets @drod2000 to keep in touch with new developments.
© 2017 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. Intel and the Intel logo are trademarks of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and/or other countries.
*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.